View Single Post
Old 12-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Re: Help me put together a good 350 combo for 375-400 hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I personally think you need to forget the thought of a "semi budget based aluminum head" Heads are where the power is made, and heads represent a major part of any builds budget. Why buy something that is 'maxed out' to start with. Get a head that flows in the 280cfm range and you'll be plenty capable of stepping up later as the faster faster faster bug bites. I'm partial to the AFR line and a 195 or 210 head would work well here up to stroking this to a 383 IMO. 210 only if your like the rest of us and have that addictive personality and expect to want more and more later, a 195 if you think 500P will be enough for somewhere off in the future.

I'm just saying don't scrimp and cut your own throat buying a head that won't grow with you. There expensive, buy the RIGHT one the first time.
I agree I would love some AFR's....But

I have owned several high hp cars and have driven them all down the track (heads/Cam 00 SS Camaro,Nitrous 5.0 Notch,04 Blown Vette, 06 GTO,etc...)

My 69 will never hit the track for several reasons....there isn't really that many tracks left in So Cal and the SM465 will never be a good tranny for racing.

I am building her as a cruiser hot rod weekend toy. I want her to be dead nuts reliable and fun to drive. I also need to keep the budget under control as I'm a firm believer of not investing 7K in engine work on a truck that I only have 10K into.

I will be more than happy with 330rwhp. My next go around I will be swapping out the 3:08's for gears and a posi. Basically I want something that will pull ok on the freeway and leave a lighht with a little tire smoke if need be.

Lets say my budget is less than 2K for heads and cam?

What would work with my current intake/carb and make the most power?
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote