View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 04:42 PM   #11
Burbor

Re: any suggestions for brake upgrades?

I am now happy with the brakes on my Burb. It took me a bunch of trials to get where its at now. Truck is a 1969 K10 4x4, I swapped in a 1986 GM 10-bolt front axle to get discs on the front. New stock rotors and hubs. Tires are 265/75/16 Geolanders.

Problems I had:
-Pedal was hard(er) to press, not spongy at all. It was like there was not enough assist from the booster, but there was some assist. In stop and go traffic, my leg would fatigue. Multiple different boosters tested, no help.
-Rear brakes would lock up well before the fronts. Stock 11" rear drums, in good shape.

I'll outline what I have done:
1) Modified the stock brake linkage system (between the firewall and the booster). I moved the pedal rod pivot point closer to the booster rod pivot point. This means your foot is at less of a disadvantage, making it easier to push the brake pedal, at the expense of a little bit more pedal travel. This helped a little bit.
2) Installed a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. Once adjusted, this eliminated the rear locking up. This didn't help with pedal effort (of course).
3) Installed the "FF" friction coefficient pads mentioned earlier. This helped a little bit more.
4) Installed 3/4 Ton front calipers. Piston diameter is greater: 3-5/32" vs. 2 15/16". The pads are the same for 1/2 T or 3/4 T. The caliper mounting is the same. The axle I used actually came with one of each caliper on it when I bought it. I had to massage the flex hoses a bit, nothing major though. A little grinding and a slight bend.
5) New master cylinder. Stock disc brake, cast iron reservoir.

Brakes are now on par with other newer trucks I have driven. Not a sports car by any stretch, but what I'd call great for a truck.
Burbor is offline   Reply With Quote