View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 11:01 PM   #9
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Lift kit recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_jj_Taylor View Post
To each their own, I guess I'm just one of few who expect an old truck to ride rough!
Ride in one with a better setup suspension and you'll think again about that statement. With a good set of springs and shocks a solid axle truck won't ride like a covered wagon. Larry's K10 is riding on a mix of springs out back but a skyjacker softride set up front. With Bilstiens all the way around it rides like a caddy and better than a jacked up torsion bar on an ifs truck.

My rough country springs in my 91 were what I originally lifted my 75 with many moons ago. I thought they didn't ride bad. We parted out the 75 when the 91 project got going and I recycled the springs into it. That was with the rough country shocks too. It had been over year since I drove either and the first drive in the 91 had me wondering why it bucked like a mule over highway expansion joints. Literally. Larry was following me on the way home and saw 2" of daylight under the rear tires. The front didn't feel any better. Changing the shocks made worlds of difference. It was enough of a change that I'm not in a rush to change the front springs yet. Probably next winter. When I do it will either be skyjacker soft rides or ORD custom.

The biggest difference between rough country's and better springs are the spring rates and number of leafs in the pack. RC springs use less leafs with a higher spring rate which gives the ride quality they are known for. Better springs use more leafs per pack with a lower spring rate. They ride better, flex better and just do a better job.

You can settle for a truck riding like a truck if you want. I know it could be better and want mine to be better.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote