View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #54
CC69Rat

Re: need primer advice

Great thread - Jim is awesome and very helpful.

I just want to mention the recoat window between Epoxy and the high build primer stages. Try to get your high build primer sprayed within 7 days of your final Epoxy coat.

120 sand, knock down the original paint as much as possible

Epoxy primer, 2x good medium coats. This will form the seal Jim mentioned earlier and protect your bare metal. It creates sort of a barrier that if water penetration happens when it's in primer it can only soak up to that point and not all the way to the bare metal

The next stage is your high build primer and filler (if you chose to do so) or hammer / dolly and body work. I usually shoot a good light to medium coat, let it flash for about 5-10 min depending on the temperatures of course then two more good medium coats. I use Southern Polyurethanes Epoxy and their high build. Again, try not to let more than 7 days pass between these stages. Epoxy / High Build. If you do the Epoxy will dry super hard and the high build just can't bond to it as good. (Chemical bond )

At this stage it gets fun.. sand, sand, and more sanding..

If you break through back to bare metal - YES .. more Epoxy primer is needed.

Once you have it in high build primer, 180 sand and get it flat. Recoat if needed.. 220 sand to get it slick.

If you recoat ( I do) block it again with 400. If you're doing single stage paint I'd just go to 400 ..500 max. I block with 600 for metallic paints.

With single stage ..you can put several good coats on it.. let it cure really good then cut and buff. I like single stage. You can make it look like glass.

The biggest thing is just taking your time. Don't get in a big hurry.

Hope this helps

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote