View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: fuse panel detailed description or diagram

I think it would be better to trace the wiring harness from the battery positive post to the fuse box for a better understanding of how the system works.

Positive current electricity begins at the battery Plus post with the large cable to the starter solenoid. In addition there is a fusible link from there to a junction on the right fender to protect the key off electrical circuit.

From the junction a 12 gauge red wire continues across the top of the radiator and down below the left headlight to the main junction of the positive power wires.

Shown below are the points I have mentioned. The main junction includes wires from the battery, the alternator, the regulator, and the main cab feed wire to the firewall junction block.

Name:  ammetershunt.jpg
Views: 49436
Size:  36.3 KB

This is the firewall junction block showing the 12 gauge red power wire for the cab. Notice the large purple wire for the starter solenoid and the cloth covered wire which is the resistance wire for the ignition coil.

Name:  Firewallterminal 1.jpg
Views: 60387
Size:  89.2 KB

The green and blue wires are the temperature sender and the oil sender wires respectively.

Next we get into the cab and follow the large red wire up the left side of the diagram. Notice it joins three other wires which are the power feeds for the horn relay the, the ignition switch, the headlight switch and the fuse panel.
All these are full time key off power wires.

Name:  Copy of Cab-1web.jpg
Views: 40299
Size:  115.0 KB

Remember the large red wire is key off power to the fuse panel and it powers the things which do not require the key to be on to operate.
The stop lights
The hazard light flasher
The dome light
The parking lights.
The cigar lighter terminal.
The backup lights fuse.
The radio terminal.
Here's a view of the wiring for the fuse panel. It's the same one shown above.

Name:  Copy of Cab-1web.jpg
Views: 40299
Size:  115.0 KB

Notice the large red wire from the junction.

The main attachment point feeds the fuses for the items mentioned just above which do not require key on power. The primary output wire for these items is the orange wire, which feeds the stop/taillight fuse, the dome light fuse, and the headlight switch, for the parking and dash cluster lights.

The dash cluster lights are fed from the headlight switch through the variable resistor in the headlight switch, back to the fuse panel via a green wire, to the Pnl Lts fuse.

I think that's all for the key off fuses.

Looking at the diagram for the key and headlight switches we see a 12 gauge brown wire and a 12 gauge pink wire on the key switch. The brown wire is the accessory wire and it goes to the fuse panel to feed the wiper fuse, the turn signal flasher, and the heater, AC fuse.
(NOTE)- 1967 trucks did not have an accessory key switch and no brown wire.

The pink wire from the key switch goes to the junction In the denter of the diagram and tees off for the fuse panel and the ignition coil + terminal.
The pink wire at the fuse pane feeds the IGN Unfused terminals and the cluster feed fuse.

Here is a diagram of the key switch and the headlight switch.

Name:  Cab-2-web.jpg
Views: 65066
Size:  104.5 KB

And here is a fuse panel with the fuses and terminals labeled. They can vary
slightly.

Name:  fuse box.jpg
Views: 50617
Size:  69.0 KB

I'm sure I've missed something so if you have any questions let me know.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 06-29-2017 at 04:53 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote