View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 03:19 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 1967 c30 no charge and weird(?) problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbed67 View Post
Thank you very much, VetteVet. That was a lot of good info in that package. I might look into it deeper at some point.
There wasn't anyting wrong with the alternator light, it just didn't get any ground through the regulator, so I think it's faulty. I think the alternator itself might be ok, and have to try and get a new regulator at some point.
As I am in a hurry to get the truck in usable condition, I put in another alternator for now. I wired in the brown wire from the regulator, to the D+ on the alternator, and now the light turns on with the ignition key, and goes out when the alternator starts charging.
This is the easy way out, and I am a bit embarrassed, but I can't get a new regulator fast enough to get the original alternator to work.
I though later, why didn't I suggest that you ground the brown wire that goes to the regulator and see if the light works. /even better would be to ground the white wire to the alternator.

If you do get one of the digital ones. Of course I would suggest that you convert to the internal model alternator,SI or CS, for not too much more than the cost of a new regulator.

There are a lot of people who view our posts that benefit from all the information that gets posted. I like to provide as many details as I can.

You should see my pm account.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote