View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
D13

Rust and ground wires

I pulled out my trailer to go pick up my next project and discovered the tail / brake lamps were dim and intermittent. I happened to have a set of LED tails and a new trailer harness laying around. The harness grounds to the frame and does not have enough wire to reach the lamp grounds. Easy, right? Use the frame as the ground.
But, since the trailer has lived in Michigan all its almost 30 years, every surface is covered with rust. No big deal, I'll solder a loop on each ground wire, drill and tap a hole for a screw with a toothed washer at each location, grind off the rust in the area, and run it down. All will be good.
As I;'m doing this I got to thinking. What happens when it starts to rust under the loops?

I have a couple options - I have liquid tape, grease, dielectric grease, non-conductive anti-seize, silicone, battery terminal protector, and enamel paint. Any recommendations on what to to do over the screws and loops?

By the way, this will also be the solution I will use use on my truck project - once I get that far...
Thanks!
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote