Thread: Crash's 69 K10
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #86
Crash_OK

Re: Crash's 72 K10

Well, I went to Eufaula this morning in search of the elusive transmission to transfer case seals. After working with Michael at Oreilly’s we discovered that the seals are called Transmission output seals. Of course they didn’t have them.. but there were 2 in McAlester.. So off the McAlester I went..

Thought I would try the new heater this morning.. It really worked well…

There is an order you should follow to install the seals. The seals should be installed with the seal lip on each towards the Transmission and Transfer case.

First step is to install the seal on the transfer case side of the adapter.. install the seal with the seal lip pointed up towards the transfer case.

Next step is to lube the seal lip and transfer case input shaft O-ring with some white lithium grease and mount the adapter to the transfer case.

This was a good time to try out the shorty wrenches I got from lowes.. they worked great ..

Next install power coupler onto the transfer case input shaft.

After that install the seal on the transmission side of the adapter with seal lip pointed toward the transmission.

Time to mount the Transfer case to the frame.

After that swing the engine and transmission into the frame and bolt it up to the transfer case.

Then the progress all came to an end.. again…

The engine has clearance problems with the cross member… Dirty Dingo said this plates would solve all those problems.. Sorry.. they is not a plate made that can solve this.. This will require some fabrication.
I thought I would try to move the entire drive train back a inch or so.. so I unbolted the transmission cross member and moved it.. no luck …. We are hitting a different area now..

Also, both driveshaft’s will have to be modified with the cross member in this location..

So back to the original location.. more pic’s of the problem..

It does look good sitting there… to bad it ain’t right..

More pictures of the problem with the Dirty Dingo Sliders removed..

Removed the upper part of the engine cross member and still have problems..

Decided to install the transfer case support bushings, new rear brake hose, and new front spring u-bolts.. While I considered my options on the engine mounts.

This week while I am working on the solution to the engine mounting problem I will start on the wiring harness..

Looks good.. wish it was mounted up..

I guess I have a few options.. fab something up myself…, hire someone to fab something up.. or look online for another solution

Crash's 69 4x4 SWB

Crash's Roof over Lake Home

Crash's 1988 Land Cruiser Build
Crash_OK is offline   Reply With Quote