View Single Post
Old 05-11-2021, 01:49 PM   #87
Second Series

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

It looks like brake cables are listed by application, and only some list specs. I was scrolling through over a thousand brake cables looking for a 60” intermedite cable with ball on one end and threaded shaft on the other. I found one listed at 63”, but on the NAPA site it was 65”. I have some wiggle room with the bracket location, so I got that one. I replaced the passenger side cable with one for the driver side, and then it looked like the old driver side was an inch longer. I put a new one on the driver side, and found they were the same length, the old one’s spring was compressed so the end was out 1” more. I cut off a chunk of metal from the old frame and made a bracket. This drill press is as precision as I get…
I found the equalizer, and clevis at Morris 4x4. I don’t know why they couldn’t be found at any of my FLAPS. Then I just needed a nut for the intermediate cable, nothing I had lying around seemed to fit. It’s metric. After everything was in place I tightened the nut down all the way, but could still spin the tire by hand alittle. I added a spacer (Two oversized nuts) and got the cable even tighter. The wheels still aren’t impossible to turn, but I won’t know if it holds until I can park it on an incline. Afterwards, I found the ’55 truck intermediate cable is 61” and the ’63 truck cable is ~59” so I may try one of those, or I could use a metal rod and thread the ends. As it is I need the full throw of the brake lever. My ’55 has a lever between the intermediate cable and the rear cables. It’s not a fulcrum since it transfers pulling force to pulling force. It’s like a radius arm to multiply pulling distance. I may build something like that in the future if needed. For now I’ll move on to the the next task, but will definitely revisit this. At the very least the lever bracket will need to be painted.
Attached Images

1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote