View Single Post
Old 03-06-2024, 11:58 PM   #235
dsraven

Re: Eliminate draft tube options

first question is, do you know what your specs are?
second, always ask what will be replaced and what will be refurbished in the rebuilt engine.
the reason i ask is because I replaced an engine for a friend who knew a rebuilder and had me remove the old engine, he picked it up and had it redone, then delivered for me ready to install. it looked like a rebuilt, walked and talked like a rebuild, BUT, when I was installing I had to remove a couple of broken off bolts for accy's and when I added coolant it had a leak. the leak was from a frost plug. no biggie, I told him and he said just replace that one cuz it musta been a bad one. well, when I got it out I found the block had never even been dunked! it was all rusty and gunked up inside and the frost plug was AN ORIGINAL. I felt really bad for him but I ended up pulling that engine and flushing thw cooling system as good as possible with the frost plugs out, replaced all the frost plugs. the builder said he wasn't gonna do any warranty just for that. I wondered if the rest was even done right but my buddy said he would run it and see what happens. he had a few issues but it was his camper hauler so he wasn't driving it all the time. I NEVER do stuff like that but, it was a buddy and he helps me when needed so I returned the favor.
moral of the story, always ask whats gonna get done and whats gonna be repurposed inside. whats the warranty and conditions, is it warranteed if you install and do the initial start up etc.
I would be careful about a welded front cap as well because it would need a line bore after anyway so back to square one.
see all the points in previous posts from the guys and write a list of questions to ask the guy. see if he has customer reviews he can share, see what your gut tells you.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote