View Single Post
Old 05-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #15
clinebarger

Re: Duramax 6 speed MANUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinpcranch View Post
I hunted for 6 years before I bought my 01 I was a farm truck in Mississippi and I'm in Ok. I finally found a dealer willing to find me the truck I wanted, and I bought it with 250,000 I have 325,000 on it I love it wouldn't trade it for the world. Even though I put a clutch in it. Then I had to get a transmission at 320,000, I got one cheaper than an Allison. had I not had to put a shaft in the tranny it would have been cheaper to rebuild than an Allison. but time was not on my side and I found a tranny and had it shipped in and will rebuild my old one later. Like Larry said clutch engagement takes a bit of time to make it smooth.

When dad bought his new truck the sales guy at the dealer called and tried to trade me out of it when he told the guy I had a stick shift, said he had a several people looking for these trucks. I haven't put my tractor on dads 08 yet but the little I have used it I think that my 6 speed would out pull his Allison. When it's time to move cattle at the end of the month we will find out though. All in all I freaking love my stick shift. wouldn't trade it for any thing. I will probably build and rebuild this truck for years, or just put the power train in my old 84 K20.
You put a clutch & a transmission in it. There are Allison 1000's with more than 700K on them with nothing but regular service.
Just because you can find a cheap "rebuild" kits for a ZF transmissions.....Does not mean it can be rebuilt. They are "Throw away" transmissions.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote