View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
C1ph3r

High voltage after alternator conversion

I just converted my alternator to internally regulated.
Alternator is a 94 amp 12 o'clock 12SI
I have a 1970 C10 w/350

My problem. First I have a very good Blue Point digital multi meter. I only point that out to show I have a known good tool.

When I check voltage at the BATTERY, it is so high it tops out my meter. In fact, it does something I have never seen. As soon as I hook up the ground to the batter, my meter starts reading voltage.

When I check voltage where the red wire coming from the lug on alternator and meets at the wires at the old external regulator plug, i get 14.5-15 volts. Very steady. That is what I assume it should be.

Now here is how I have my wiring.

I have the brown wire from the fire wall going to pin number one on the alternator. I have pin number 2 going to the the bundle of constant 12v wires on the driver side fender.

I am accomplishing this by jumping the white wire at the alternator that goes to pin 1 to the brown wire at the old external regulator plug which goes to the fire wall. I am jumping the red wire to the blue wire at the regulator plug for the sensing.

I am still also using the same red wire on the battery lug that was there with the original alternator.

I have verified that pin one is indeed going to the brown wire at the fire wall via a continuity test. And the same with pin 2 going to 12v.

i followed this thread. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342596
the one in the FAQ regarding this isn't correct for my truck as I don't have a light i have the AMP gauge.

Here are my jumpers and my alternator plug (Sorry for the dim photo of that). Also a pic of my amp gauge in the dash with engine running.

I am also going to be doing away with the soldered bundle on the drivers side where the battery cable and the other 12v source wires all join and making the connection with a bus bar. I just want to get this sorted first.
Attached Images