View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
sangell

Re: Which manual tranny did you choose for your LS swap?

1) T-56 from a 2005 CTSV
2) 5.3 from a 2004 Silverado 1500, custom made mounts to put the motor where I wanted it. It's further back than stock.
3) Hydro clutch, Tilton Master cylinder bolted to firewall with custom made rod attached to stock pedal arm.
4) C6 ZO6 Corvette flywheel
5) C6 ZO6 Clutch
6) Stock from CTSV
7) 5.3 Truck Pilot bearing, C6 ZO6 throwout bearing
8) Custom made cross member installed where it lande
9) Using a CTSV or newer TR6060 trans requires a remote mounted shifter and the deeper CTSV bell housing requires either some spacers or the C6 ZO6 parts.
10) 71 C10 Big Block/TH400 with the high hump and to keep the bottom of the trans not lower than the frame yes I had to modify the tunnel.
11) While new to the C10 game I have done metal fab before so I would say the metal work was a 2 to 3, figuring out what parts worked with what was a 5 to 6.

I started with the CTSV trans to save a few bucks and while I think I did the extra work over just getting a F-Body trans was not worth it. Also this was a project for my teenage son and I so we were doing as much of it ourselves as we could and teaching him some metal fab. It would be easier and faster to just buy all the mounts, adapters, etc. but more costly.

I'm happy with how it came out, my son loves his truck and it being a 6sp is his favorite part. It is fun to drive. Not right now as we are painting it and redoing the interior but it is my 16 year old's daily driver.
sangell is offline   Reply With Quote