Thread: Brakes- '70 C20
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Brakes- '70 C20

OK, I had a contamination issue with my truck and am going through the hydraulics. That's under control, but I have a problem with the rear brake shoes, which to me is just crazy. I bought relined brake shoes at NAPA, and they have too little friction material on them. I was a state-licensed ASE-certified mechanic back in the day, and I know what brake shoes look like. For those of you who know, most applications have a smaller primary shoe lining and a longer lining on the secondary shoe. But some trucks have the same amount of lining on both shoes. The shoes I got look like primary shoes- all four of them! Does NAPA consider this to be the same thing? I could understand even having the primary shoe being shorter on my truck, but that shorter secondary shoe lining length is a concern. I have a camper shell and stuff in it, and haul a trailer. The brakes need to be right. I'm taking them back tomorrow for a refund, but I'm going to have to find another place that has the right stuff (I know where to go for them- it's just gonna cost me a little more), but since I can do all the work myself, an extra $20 for shoes is not a big deal. It's also annoying that I've got about 4 hours in a 1 hour repair, based on not getting the right parts. I bought new springs and adjusters, but the adjusters I got weren't not only wrong, but two different sizes, to boot.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote