View Single Post
Old 02-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #15
murphy98

Re: 60-66 Stepside rear step bumper modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhippinSaw View Post
I believe Barden Bumpers where installed at the dealer, my 63 was made in Oakland and has an Woodland California/Albany Oregon Barden bumper, There are probably other companys making these bumper too. Good thread on dealer installed bumpers here. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=561195

Until I find a step side bumper I want to cut the tail off mine, keeping the contour and slide it over. Will I be able to use a cut off tool to separate the diamond plate from the angle iron by the white arrow and reattach the diamond plate to the piece I am sliding over without damaging? This will look better right away, its cheap and relatively easy compared to your mod and will give me some confidence to mod a real fender side bumper if I have to.
Thanks again murphy98
Thanks for the info on the Barden bumpers WhippinSaw,
My bumper originally had a small steel tag riveted to it about the same as your tag photo but it was rather faded and mostly unreadable (so I removed it) but I believe my bumper came off a US West coast truck so it most likely is a Barden made bumper. Also thanks for the thread on dealer installed bumpers, found it most informative! I will post photos of mine there as well.

As for your question about using a cut off tool to separate the diamond plate from the angle iron, I imagine you should be able to. I was not trying to save the piece of diamond plate to reuses so I just cut along the perimeter weld across the top of the diamond plate so as not to damage the angle iron. However in your case you may want to try cutting the weld bead at a 45 degree angle to the diamond plate/angle iron & use the thinnest cutting wheel you can in order to minimize "shortening" (due to the thickness of the cutting wheel) of the diamond plate, if that makes any sense? That way you can slide the bumper end contour piece under the diamond plate and re-weld a new bead, I am sure the weld will be able to fill the gap between the diamond plate & angle iron easily and look just like the rest of the bumper. Good luck with it, try to take lots of pics while you are doing it and post your results. Looking forward to seeing you modification.
murphy98 is offline   Reply With Quote