View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 04:03 AM   #109
Nick_R_23

Re: Project "You thought yours was bad!" '78 C10 Stepside

Transmission linkage was also installed while I had to slide around under there.

Started on the accessory brackets next. I cleaned them up the best I could with steel wool and soft metal brush, but a bead blaster sure would be nice!

Power steering and A/C bracket mounted too

So this is where I ran into issues with the lower hose. My stock hose and the identical replacement hose Napa sold me, hit the serpentine belt! I found this one off who knows what, I believe possibly a 88-95 TBI truck. The outlet was straight and cleared the belt just fine. But then, the radiator bend wouldn't allow it to clear the fan shroud!

Frustrated and moving on, I finished connecting the power steering lines

I also installed the smaller and less busy TBI style vapor canister.

So after a trip to the junkyard, comparing fan shrouds, lower hoses, and belt drives, I finally figured out what I needed. Apparently Chevy used a different style of lower hose from 73-83, and in 84-on up, it changed. So another trip down to Napa with an 83 C10 5.7L lower hose part number in hand, yielded me the correct hose that not only has the straight outlet to clear the Vortec serpentine setup, but the correct bend off of the radiator to properly clear the fan shroud!

I also picked up a new radiator cap at the same time

I figured it was time to replace the original heater hoses as well. I get the excess for free from work when we assemble machines with heaters, so I had two perfect pieces that fit the truck like they were meant for it!

Cleaned up the fan shroud. Pledge works amazing at cleaning up dirty plastics.

Fan shroud is mounted, along with the fan, even though it isn't visible.

Another quick trip into town yielded an upper radiator hose, intake fitting for the heater core hose, new thermostat, and a couple more clamps. The upper hose here is for a 1990 Chevy truck with TBI and 34" radiator.

Intake fitting and both hoses installed

The upper hose is just mocked up for now, as I need to head out into my shed and find a thermostat housing that I want to use, but as you can see here, the fit is perfect!

This is the angle that the hose will meet the housing. I think I may be able to find a stock one at this angle, seems like the Chevy Vans from this era used a housing that had this angle built into it.

And that is it for tonight!
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote