View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
84chevyguyid

Re: 86 chevy crew cab 12 valve swap

I pulled the cab last fall and rolled it into the shop so I could tinker through the winter. The bus motor I am using is set up with an air compressor and power steering and I decided to keep the setup instead of going with the pickup setup. I am going to have air bags front and rear so the factory air compressor will work nice for that, also nice to have air to blow up 4 wheeler tires, ect. I built my own frame brackets using the second gen motor mounts. I had to make a custom mount for the driver side as the power steering pump wouldnt clear the stock mount. The frame brackets are welded in but the crossmember tying them together unbolts. I was going to use a 4l80e trans behind the motor but ended up going with an allison 6 speedout of an 06 duramax instead. I bought my adapter stuff from Destroked. The oil pan on the cummins was a front sump and I was able to reuse it by turning it around and getting a new pickup tube for a rear sump application. After I got the engine and trans mounts finished I tore the engine down to the short block and replaced all the gaskets and seals on it so hopefully it wont leak oil. I took the head in and had it redone and added 60lb valve springs to it. I put 4000 governor springs in the pump and bumped the timing to 15 degrees and did the killer dowel pin fix while I had the front cover off. Then it got a new paint job after reassembly.
84chevyguyid is offline   Reply With Quote