View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #338
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

Then about a week ago, we finally had a day with no rain and I took the rig on it's first drive since it found the ditch almost 4 years ago. I have a serious vibration somewhere in the drive train I have to find. Since I have a different frame and basically made one truck out of 3, I will need to do some detective work to figure out what it is.

1. The front end needs to be aligned. I got it close to where it needs to be, but I'm sure it's still off.

2. The driveline probably needs to be balanced. I put a new carrier bearing and new U-joints in it, but who knows...

3. The rear end that was in the 1969 frame I got is unknown as to it's true condition. Sure I got lucky with it having a factory posi-traction and 3.73 gears. But it could be completely shot for all I know. I still have my Eaton posi-unit and 3.73's that were in the old 1972 housing if I need them.

4. Tires probably have flat spots from sitting for so long. Also might have a couple flat spots in them from when I locked up the brakes and slid sideways into the ditch.

5. Since I lowered the truck, 4" in rear and 2" in front, the pinion angle might need to be shimmed.

So... I'll iron all that out soon. I just got the registration renewed yesterday and new license plates. The front and rear bumpers are going on soon, and I still need to swipe the hood and hinges off of my parts truck and clean them up and install them on my rig.

Thanks for staying with me through this entire build. I am sooooo glad I kept with it, and didn't sell it off as I almost did... more than once!

Gary
Attached Images

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote