View Single Post
Old 06-22-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

Re: Big Red, my 68 3/4 ton GMC

I've made some progress the last few days. After sitting under an oak tree for the last 10 years there were leaves every where. The cowl was full to the top so I pulled it off and cleaned all the leaves out, I was expecting to find rust but it cleaned up good. Next, I scraped and cleaned out the sound deadening material in the cab to see if there was any more rust damage, I was happy there wasn't anymore lurking under there. Then I wanted to get the bed out and cleaned up. first thing was to flip it over, after I did that I opened the tailgate to find a large wasp nest built between the gate and the bed, needless to say I got out of there quick. So I sprayed the 2 nests down with bee spray and let it sit over night. The next day I managed to get the bed on the truck with the help of my 7 year old son, pressure washed all the dirt and wasps out of it and figured out which cross sills go where. Then I measured for all the dimensions of the lumber and bolts needed to get a floor in it. The plan for now is to build a functional floor that will be used to hual my dirt bike in and still look decent and be cheap to build. I was considering building the bed out of 1/4" plate steel, but decided to wait on that because a future plan is to go to SWB. So for now I'm gonna build it out of 3/4" tongue and groove exterior plywood, then coat it with spray on bed liner. I hope to have the wood in the bed in the next few days so stay tuned! Here are some pics of what I've been up to.

Before:

After:

Me loading the bed with my son's help:

First time with a bed in about 3 years:

Floor Cleanup: The bad side

The good side:

Thanks for looking, I hope to have a bedfloor in this week.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote