View Single Post
Old 10-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #113
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Re: The Dakota Cadillac (68 K20 w/ Cummins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopteacher View Post
Looking real nice! Just read the thread and I'm Subscribed !

There is lots of sheet metal in side the cab so some dyna mat or Fat mat will make a great improvement !

Keep us posted

This man speaks the truth! While this update is a little overdue, I did finally put some basic insulation and carpet in this old guy. What a difference it has made! I've spent the last two years content knowing that my tin box was loud and obnoxious to drive, I've even driven 500 mile roadtrips (with no radio) without being able to think over the noise.

I can hear my phone ring while driving in town now! I can't answer it because my hands are busy driving, but I now know that it rang.

That insulation and carpet was done partway (stopped at my parent's house 250 miles away) through a 1500 mile weekend to attend Kool Deadwood nights with my family. This included laying down a 12 second pass at the dragstrip.

Okay, it was an 1/8 mile strip and it had wheel hop like none other but it was fun slamming the gears, I'll post up a video when I get time later this week.

Anyways, other than loosing a power steering return line at greater than highway speeds (>75mph limit) and borrowing a few quarts of power steering fluid from a nice gentleman in Christine, ND it's been running flawlessly. I finally turned up the pump and will be ordering injectors, a fuel pin, and new lift pump (I loose fuel pressure at extended full throttle) at some point this winter.

Winter projects for this guy:

-- Pull front clip to ease access to everything

-- Reseal motor, I'm leaking like crazy and I believe it's from the vacuum pump/timing case gaskets. This will be replaced with a plate to mount the power steering directly to the case.

--Rebuild front crossmember to accommodate a winch

----Hickey sidewinder I picked up last year
----Mile Marker hydraulic/powersteering (bought for car hauler, but not sure if I want to buy a hydraulic pump for my 62 IH's PTO.

-- Modify/fabricate a new exhaust manifold to move the turbo forward/up and mount exhaust brake.

-- Build new turbo/intercooler/intake plumbing

-- Mount / plumb larger air filter

-- Build an A/C compressor mount and reroute belt to make it work.

-- Clean and paint firewall

-- Clean and repaint motor : going back to Cummins industrial tan to better match future gold (original color) repaint

-- It will also be getting a wood headliner (thinking 3/4 or 1" strips, like a hand made canoe). I like dealing in metal, not so great with wood so a lot of help will come from my woodworking Dad, only problem is the 250 miles apart that we live. Maybe a long weekend at his place, so maybe not this winter but eventually.

Sorry for the long update, I'm loaded with work/school/house projects and can't seem sit down to write shorter posts more often.

Pics/video of drag run to come soon...
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote