Thread: Ccas
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Ccas

Re: Aluminum radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
I'm all for plugging board sponsors and such but, in support of others, I must say that my Champion 3-Row is looking The Business up next to what it is replacing here in my world. I bought the CC369 with fans. This all aluminum piece of kit is welded, polished aluminum boxes that look very nice. It test fitted nicely down into the factory lower perches and the factory upper mounts fit down on the welds just fine! It's definitely not exactly just like the stock 4 row BB radiator, but it will fit in there no problem. Once I have it all together, I have no doubt it will cool the BB.

Pics available...

-klb
I didn't mean to disrespect the 3 row or Champion all together. I was mostly targeting the 2 rows they make. They are really inadequate for any classic V8. The hp ranges they use are ridiculous. The 3 row may work fine for you. Just saying to all that a large 2 row will outperform a small 3 row. It's just a matter of volume. Big 2 row, holds more fluid. And you are correct, it may cool your car just fine but I have replaced at least several 3 row aluminum rads with noticeable improved results. Again, it's a matter of many factors and sometimes the 3 row can fall short. That's why Champion makes their 4 row.

And for fitment, that's hit or miss also. Yours seemed to fit relatively painlessly but Champion makes a 64-67 Chevelle and a 64-67 GTO radiator but originally there was a 64-65 and 66-67 models that were quite different. Also because the tanks being box welded instead of stamped like originals, any models that use saddle mounts are going to require at least the insulators to be modified.

A lot of this may seem nit picky but for some it's important. I'm just trying to get all the plus's and minus's out there for all to consider. Hope we're ok.