View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #39
Corte's Speed Shop

Re: 1966 Aluminum P10 Grumman Olsonette

Getting closer to having this goofy hot rod finished.

One of the first things I did after getting the body back on was coat the interior floorboards with Raptor Liner. I really like how this stuff laid down and the coverage. It's got a good texture, but not overly rough.

Next I mounted a new Ididit tilt column and threw in some 60's style with a Mooneyes metal flake wheel.

I made a little relay board to sort of have a little brain center for most of the electronics. I've seen some cleaner setups, but I'm happy with the outcome for my first trial run.

I found these sweet little wiring bulkhead connectors and utilized them for the dash section of the wiring harness. I really like the quick disconnect feature and should make any service issues a little less painful.

The next section i tackled was the dash panel areas to get the gauges, switches, Fourplay manual valve block, and double din radio mounted. I REALLY like the Dakota Digital HDX gauges and took advantage of their air pressure BIM module to display the bag pressures. The round switches towards the right hand side of the gauge panel are for cruise control and tow/haul mode.

My fiance was super helpful and reupholstered the old school bus seats I had. She wasn't digging the original olive colored vinyl lol. Not sure how Hobby Lobby fabric will hold up, but for $50 in materials, and Kayleigh's first auto upholstery job, I think the seats turned out pretty darn good. Still have to finish fabbing some brackets to mount the seats, but they should work out well mounted over each rear wheel well.

It took a little bit of brainstorming, but also got the "battery box" mounted in the rear. Thinking I'm going to apply some knock off dynamat to the interior sections to help mitigate as much rattling as possible.

I wired this door bell switch to the train horn. Should make for some fun times at cars shows haha.

The only issue I've run into so far had to do with a leaky brake caliper. I couldn't seem to get the brake hose sealed up despite trying a new banjo bolt and copper washers. I did a little digging on the forum and found there were a couple of other fellas who had a similar issue. I ordered a new caliper and sure enough the mating surface where the hose meets the caliper was machined too far and created a little concave area that wouldn't seal. The proper design still has little concentric rings that let the copper wash seal against it. Definitely a good thing to know for future projects!

I also wired up some fun looking cab marker lights and school bus style turn signals. Just got the engine running last week and was able to check the trans for forward and reverse gears. So far all seems good!

I need to figure out radiator hoses, finish up a few vacuum lines, and wire in the tail lights, but I'm super close to driving this thing. Also going to tidy up several items, add some more finishing touches for the interior, and come up with a gameplan for some major sound deadening. I finally feel like I'm on the down hill side of this project. Oh! And I am still planning on polishing the body! Crap!
Corte's Speed Shop is offline   Reply With Quote