View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
dmjlambert

Re: Alternator question

The adapter kit is available from a variety of places, Classic Industries is the place I got mine. It has 2 items, one is a block that you use for the end of the wire to replace the voltage regulator. Inside that block are the wires that connect the correct places together on the regulator plug. The other item in the adapter kit is the one that converts the old style alternator plug to new style. No spicing of any wires needed at the alternator or at the regulator or anywhere else to change alternator type.

I have seen adapters that include a resistor that let you convert from SI series to CS series. So I suppose that makes it a little more clear for me. If I were inclined to go with CS, I would get one of those adapters. Note this is just me, I'm sure there are others who feel I have some weird attraction to adapters. I suppose I just don't want to mess things up.

I do recommend making sure you have a fusible link at your battery just as in the normal stock configuration. Those are required for any setup you have.

"The part number you gave": it is from that Mad Electrical web page. Lots of good reading there.

I think 10 gauge wires from the alternator to the fans should be good. If it were me I would send both positive voltage and ground wires from the alternator all the way to the fans. I suppose you have a relay or relays to turn the fans on. Go that far with the 10 gauge wires, and route them neatly.

For belts, getting the correct belt may involve going to the parts store such as O'Reilly multiple times, returning one that doesn't fit right and getting another. Must have patience. I recommend always get Gates belts. They are more expensive, but they are the ones to get.

Note I am not against CS alternators, I just don't know enough about the wiring of them to give good advice, and I was confused by the information out there on the web. VetteVet would probably wonder why worry about it because it is simple, just get one and hook it up...
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote