View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #17
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Alternator question

Here is a picture of my harness where I untaped the soldered junction.

Name:  DCP_2359.jpg
Views: 2004
Size:  58.0 KB

I kept all the wires after I cut them from the soldered junction and I also used all the other harness wiring for the cab and lights etc. My dash cluster was an idiot light cluster so I didn't have the ammeter wires but I added them because I plan on converting to the gauge cluster soon.

If you decided to get the CS 144 all you would need to do is solder an 85 ohm 5 watt resistor inline with the brown wire and connect it to the L terminal on the CS alternator and then connect the red wire (sensing) to the S terminal and upgrade the large output wire to and 8 gauge wire then run it back to the main junction.

Name:  ammetershuntCS130.jpg
Views: 2098
Size:  30.6 KB

The two ammeter wires are shown with fuses, 4 amp, and the battery charge wire on the left of the diagram. You don't need to change that , It's a 12 gauge wire and will carry all the current you need to charge the battery and also it is big enough to power anything you need with the key off , or on accessory.

Most guys want to just run the large alternator output wire directly to the battery post but if you do this it will bypass the battery Shunt wire and the ammeter will not work.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote