Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #1259
Vic1947

Re: Rat repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
A little advice please, I should have probably sealed the fender in primer right after I sanded the paint off the fender because I got sidetracked and progress stopped, now my finger oils have created some surface rust, what's the best way to remove it? Don't want to over sand, should I wipe it with something that will eat the surface rust like the Gem rust killer I have then a light skuff with a da?
You can make up some prep solvent by mixing equal parts isopropyl alcohol, acetone and water. Shake well, pour a small amount in a dish, then dip a grey or maroon scuff pad into it and scrub the affected area. Wipe it with a clean cloth or paper towel to remove the residue. Let the area dry thoroughly... at least 45 minutes in warm sunshine. Self etch or epoxy primer will bite right thru any tiny amount of surface rust that remains.

GEM Rust Killer is a "converter" (phosphoric acid + iron oxide = iron phosphate) which is a great surface prep for powder coating. If you plan to epoxy primer over it, you may want to first treat it with a mildly acidic solution like vinegar and water or 20% HCl. At least that's what some epoxy manufacturers recommend. Others say just squirt the epoxy right over the iron phosphate. At a minimum, if you treat it with the GEM, I'd scrub it good with the prep solvent I described above before applying any primer. And as I mentioned, it needs plenty of time to dry thoroughly.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote