View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #25
SilverMiner

Re: Upgrading a stock 400sb

Finally, an update. I just recently finished installing my barn find 406sb into my 1980 Suburban and as promised I wanted to report back on my decision to install the Lunati Voodoo 10120701 cam.

Everything seems great at this point. All I've done thus far is break in the cam and then take a couple mild jaunts around my local area. No tuning to speak of yet other than setting the timing. This weekend after I've had a chance to put some miles on the block I'll install the Cliff Ruggles upgraded Quadrajet, fine tune the timing and confirm the overall timing curve. I may even complete the first 500 miles of break-in after which I'll be more confident about stuffing my foot into it. But so far I can confirm that my butt dyno tells me the new engine feels stronger, which hardly seems surprising as I am comparing it to an original 100K+ mystery miles stock 1980 350. Vacuum gauge not yet hooked up but the idle is strong and everything sounds good.

Summary - I'm glad I tackled the project even though the initial budget and time expectations were not even close to reality. Every item under the hood is new with the exception of the brake booster and the original Harrison A6 compressor. Guess I need to update my signature, too.