View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #2
Lugnutz65

Re: 1966 c10 speedo help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcle91 View Post
this is my first time posting so if im doing anything let me know. i have a 1966 c 10 as the title says my speedo is not working i tried the "drill" test on the cable and it works then. i looked at the gear that the cable attached to and it is in good condition the gears look sharp. when i connect the cable to the gear through the metal "plug" and spin the gear you can feel tension so i know the gear is connected to the cable. i put my finger in the whole where the plug goes and i can feel the gear around the transmission. but when i drive nothing happens. so im guessing my next step is taking off the end of the transmission to see if that gear is free spinning on the trans?to do that i have read that you need to remove the drive shaft? i will do that but my driveshaft center support is riveted to the frame. so before i start grinding rivets off next weekend i was wondering if anyone knows a different way to take off that back case or a step i am missing through the whole process. im very welcome to any help at all thank you all
After reading the above I need some clarity.
Sounds like you disconnected the cable where it connects to the transmission. Right?

Connecting a drill to the end made the speedo in the cab work. Right?

If the above is correct, then it sounds like you have a broken or missing connection in the transmission. You need to tell us what transmission you have. Then we can make some progress towards fixing it. No need to take things apart if it's a simple fix.

Also, it sounds like you have a long bed tuck with a carrier bearing and a 2 piece drive shaft. You do NOT need to remove the cross member for the carrier bearing to get the drive shaft out.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote