View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Davids71C20

Re: '71 Chevy C20 Blue

So I took the engine out to rebuild it and the shop found a crack. I've been told that you can weld cracks but I guess this shop doesn't do that and didn't mention it as an option. So I decided to find an old beat up truck with a 350 for a swap. So far I've pulled the engine, cleaned and painted it along with my bellhousing and covers. I decided not to paint the transmission yet. I'll do that when/if I rebuild it. I just want the truck running.

My donor truck is a 1981 C10 305orig/350crate with a Turbo350 2wd. The truck originally had a 305 in it but the PO put a 350 crate motor in it. I checked the casting number. It still has the 305 intake, carb (2bbl), and Air cleaner. For now I'm just going to leave all that on it and see how my gas mileage goes. I'm working on getting everything I need for a Quadrajet upgrade though. I have the throttle cable and bracket so far.

I'm keeping the 3-spd Saginaw. The 71 is also getting the Power Steering from the 81 c10 since my manual steering box has play issues.

I've read a lot about this swap and there is a lot of info out there. I'll be posting a list of things that I had to do for this swap.

Partially painted motor. Still need to paint the valve covers and intake manifold.

Davids71C20 is offline   Reply With Quote