View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #12
Roadkill58

Re: Roadkill's 58 Chevy Stepside

09-26-2009 New Parts

I actually bought some new parts. A new aluminum fuel tank, and a front disk brake conversion kit. To install the fuel tank I must first remove the bed (according to the directions). No problem I was going to do that anyway. Removed all the old rotted bed wood. Having learned a lesson from the last bed dis-assembly I got my electric wrench (angle grinder), and proceded to cut the carriage bolts that hold the bed on the frame. Then I had to cut the bumper bolts from the frame as well. Don't forget the fender braces that connect to the frame. Next I extended the legs out on the cherry picker, used straps to connect to the bed.

09-26-2009 New Parts Continued

Now that the bed has cleared the rear wheels of the truck I can move it out of the way. The trailer can be backed under the bed. The trailer is way too long. It is also too wide. Even the wheelbase is too wide. I strapped the bed to it anyway. Now I can move it out of the way. Mount my redneck fuel cell to the frame, and I'm mobile again. I thought this was about new parts? Not yet. I still have to clean the frame before I install the fuel tank. No wonder these projects take so long to finish.

09-29-2009 Fuel Tank Installation

I did enough cleaning on the chassis so I could mount the tank. Wanted to know if there would be any issues with the tank in case it had to be returned. I still have a lot of cleaning to do.
Two pages of instructions for installing the tank came with the tank.
Page one said to do it one way, and page two said to do it another way. I did it my way.
I measured about a hundred times to get the spacing even all around. Then made sure the cut outs for the spring hangers were centered. Made some marks with a silver sharpie, center punched the marks, and drilled the holes. Not too complicated. Need to make a list of the fittings I will need to finish.

Got the fuel tank mounted, fuel pump plumbed. Don't need my redneck fuel cell anymore.
Attached Images

Roadkill's 69 Custom C20