Thread: Painting Advice
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #23
foxhole

Re: Painting Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGMC4 View Post
I ended up getting a gallon of Evercoat G2 featherfill polyester primer for free and it's great. Really thick, like spray on bondo. Sands easy and you can lay it on thick to fill sanding scratches without too much worry of runs. Still wondering if I need a urethane primer over it to seal the panels better but not sure. When it's time for color I'm leaning towards a base/ clear for durability but it does sound harder to work with than single stage paints. I've been working on bodywork on mine for exactly a year and I might be halfway done, maybe. It seems like just when you primed and blocked and primed and blocked you'll always find another low spot or group of sanding scratches. If it looks like crap with wet primer on it, paint will just make it look worse so get it straight as you can. Try to do what bodywork you can in the sun. Don't know how many times I thought I was good under shop lighting to carry the fender outside and immediately see a spot I missed.
while you have to finish with a finer grit, base clear is the only way to go on metallics. spraying the clear is no different than spraying single stage, in fact many manufacturers single stage and clear are the same chemical makeup. with the BC/CC you can stop and check that all your metallics look good and fix them if necessary prior to clear and then any clear problems can be wet sanded and polished out. Biggest mistake i see though is not letting base coat dry long enough. base coat will appear dry when it reaches the halfway point but is not really ready to be sealed until you cant smell the solvent anymore. We had problems way back because of poor booth flow and DuPont said " stick your nose against the panel, if you can smell paint it ain't dry".
foxhole is offline   Reply With Quote