View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #1
MudFlap379

Intro - My 70/80 C/K 10/20

Hi y'all. First vehicle I ever owned was a 71 C10 short-stepper with a 292 and 4 speed. Bought it in 1988 for $400. I ended up beating the hell out of it and parking it in the pasture. Dad scrapped it several years ago. I've missed that truck for a long time, and have always had a soft spot for this era GM Trucks.

I was born and raised a die-hard Bowtie guy, growing up working in Dad's shop. In 97 I saw the light and became a born-again MOPAR man when I bought my first - a 79 PowerWagon.

As the years have passed, I've been feeling the itch to get another 67-72 Chevy. I've looked for a K10 SWB for a long time, but with my budget, they're made out of unobtanium.

On the 4th of July, during a family trip to the lake, I saw a 70 Chevy Long Bed in a yard with a "For Sale" sign. I had to stop. And here's the explanation for the 70/80 C/K 10/20.

Body a 70 C10, 350/4sp. Frame is 80 K10 350/th350/203 w/part time conversion, with 3/4 ton springs. The body lift that was done to accommodate the frame is kinda cheesy, done with 2" square tubing. Gotta clean that up a bit. The gap between the cab and bed is just a hair too much. The guy who built this truck removed the fuel tank, and installed a 25 gallon Blazer/Suburban tank. He also put the fuel door on the right hand side.

I just bought an 81 K20. My pappy put a crate 350 in it 5 years ago. Customer drove it about 6 months, then laid it on its side. Since it's just a farm/ranch truck, they uprighted it and continued to drive it another month or so, till the transmission burned up. It's been parked in a barn and started occasionally. I got the truck for $600 and pulled the 350 last week. Dad and I put a cam in it, cleaned it all up and swapped it into my 70.

During the swap, I opted to run the good Q-Jet (Dad went thru it for me), instead of the Edelcrap 1406 that was on my truck. I thought about pulling my Eddy intake and putting it on the new engine, but decided against it. I've had Performer intakes on 360's and 440's and they all have eventually leaked oil. Even the Performer that was on the 350 in my 70 leaked. I opted for the old cast-iron original intake and Q-Jet. With the cam and headers it runs great.

Anyway, that's the story. Future plans are to replace the NP203 with one that's not been altered. (I know most folks hate em, but I've had em in PowerWagons behind small blocks and big blocks with no problems).
Also, a flat bed and pipe bumper/grille guard. If I can post a pic here, I will.
Posted via Mobile Device
MudFlap379 is offline   Reply With Quote