View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 04:18 AM   #3
Smallz72project

Re: lower ball joint removal

You can do it yourself with or with out the balljoint press. The press makes it ALOT easier and faster but its not absolutely needed. If you have access to a vise, a BFH, and a thick punch of some fashion you can accomplish it. I would recommend spraying the ball joint with your favorite penetrating oil liberally, and just smack the living turd out of it till she pops. Just be careful not to hit the knuckle to much and mare it, if so no biggie nothing a die grinder cant fix. Also take some emery cloth and clean the bore of the knuckle really well, it will make the ball joint go in smoother along with grease. As far as going in...if you can find something large enough to fit around the balljoint and rest on the flange, just pound away again until shes flush. Oh and be sure to take the snap ring off first as well. If getting it in just isnt working, Id take it to a shop. They shouldnt charge much if anything to press it back in for you. At least I know that I dont ever at my shop. Usually takes me 10-15 minutes to put balljoints in with cleaning up the knuckle, but thats using a OTC press.
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote