View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
pete29

Re: how to clear coat and paint truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Try asking this over at the Paint & Body section of the forum.
I don't know how much experience you have with painting, but I can tell you what my brother has told me about base coat clear coat paint jobs. You should plan on messing up about 2 or 3 jobs before you learn how to get it right. He's not a professional but has done probably 50 killer Mustang restorations. From what he's told me, it's a completely different animal than enamel single stage. Plan on sanding off your mistakes a couple times and re-shooting. I've only ever done 4 paint jobs, all single stage and I know for sure I'm not ready for the clear coat route yet. Plus, I'm perfectly happy with single stage jobs. Keep wax on them and they'll last many years.
ya, i've only done one paint job. it was just single stage, but it didn't have a very good shine to it. i'm wondering if it was the cheap paint. if i do it single stage, should i just wetsand it all down, then paint it? what grit of sandpaper do you think? Did your paint jobs that you did have a real nice shine to it? Like a new car? When i did mine it didn't really shine. Thats why i was thinkin clearcoating it.
pete29 is offline   Reply With Quote