View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #45
Coupeguy2001

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Russell, it usually means that you have a passenger car ignition switch instead of a truck unit.
The problem is that some money grubbing soul determined that they were interchangeable, and the truck units don't seem to be getting reproduced anymore, yielding our plastic ignition switch placards incorrect for the switch.
I don't think the passenger car position indicators match very well, which is why I stubbornly installe a brand new truck plastic piece on my brand new passenger car ignition switch on my '57 truck.

Anyway, I sanded my firewall for a couple hours, and got really bored with that, and painted it anyway. You can't see where I stopped sanding, because Iadded some hardener/accelerator to the paint and it kicked pretty fast so I hand buffed it at the sanding edge, so that is good. Someday, I will get it painte right.
It looks nice with fresh paint under the hood.
I blasted the inner fender panels and used a file to clean up the area where I used the die grinder to open them up to clear the upper control arms.
It appears someone cut them with tin snips while they were installed to get to the back side of the upper shock absorber bolts. I cut that area out, and will probably add some metal or rubber there.
It's coming along.......I got my aluminum water pump today, but unfortunately it isn't much lighter than the cast iron one. I'm still planning on the aluminum heads, aluminum water pump, and aluminum radiator to raise the front up about 1/2"-3/4" to make it look better.
Setting the old Iron head engine in it without the bumper and grille made it low, so this can only help. If it doesn't work, I will just have to either go big block springs or have the current ones re-tempered.
I bead blasted the horn relay, and it looks new. I am going to use the old original voltage regulator holes to mount a master cylinder reservoir.
I now have so many tubes along the left frame rail that it looks like an aircraft wheel well. I am only going to add a fewmore, I need a vent line for the stick portion of the trans and a vent line for the overdrive portion, and master cylinder remote line.
Maybe I will run the vents under the bed, or to the right side.I acquired a 2 3/4" big brake set-up for the rear, but the backing plates are so rusty that I should have them either dipped or sand blasted. Since I bought new shoes for the 2 inch brakes, I will run those for a while. I used the spring kits for the big brake set-up on the smaller brakes since it was new.
I also cleaned up the area around the truck really good because the Boss was coming back today and he likes a really nice clean facility.

The airplane is back, I need to work on it, so no truck work till it leaves again.......

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 09-30-2011 at 02:12 AM.