View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
yossarian19

Re: triangular four link & 72 firebird sub frame on a 56 chevy truck

I'm confused what rear end you are talking about, as an 09 Camaro uses an IRS. If you mean '99, then, sure - but be aware that you can put those brakes on a different / narrower 10 bolt, too.
The front sub frame... I'm sure it's been done with great results but it's been done poorly, I'd say, at least as often. You don't want it welded in cockeyed even a little bit, and you want good welds in there. Not "That should stick.."
In addition to execution concerns, the '72 Camaro sub frame is a ~45 year old design. Yeah, it's better than the kingpin shenanigans that came under a '56 pickup, but you can aim higher. If you want to spend the money you can update the Camaro spindles to something using 2004-ish Corvette bearings and brakes and with improved steering geometry, which isn't a bad way to go

but to me, if I was going to the trouble of serious frame mods to improve handling / performance, I would be looking at (in no real order)
A kit that puts C4 Corvette suspension in the car
Industrial Chassis' Dakota based kit (brakes / spindles still old school but it's rack and pinion, too, and you could use Viper spindles / unit bearings / brakes)
A Crown Victoria front clip - less fabrication than the Camaro junk, rack and pinion, much better brakes. Tad wide but not a big deal.

Orr, by the time you take the body off, cut part of the frame off, weld another frame stub in, fabricate body mounts etc... why not do a frame swap onto a newer pickup frame and take advantage of the lowering parts available for them? C10, square body, GMT-400 - it's all been done, they are all built on newer or comparable vintage design work as the Camaro clip, they are all heavier duty than the F-body (if you intend to use your truck as a truck, that matters)

Etc.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote