Thread: 1972 SWB Build
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #53
beaterku

Re: 1972 SWB Build

Sigh, progress has been at a snails pace. Between the holidays, sickness coming to my house and ravaging everyone and life, it's been painfully slow.

The shock cross member is in, finally. I started in on the bolt in RideTech c-notches and quickly found that the paper template supplied is more of a suggestion than the answer. The holes were sorta kinda close to where they needed to be. Instead of taking 30 minutes to drill out the holes, it took 2 hours. A lot of measuring, marking, drilling pilot holes to see how close I was. Finally, one of the notches was all drilled an bolted in. I ran out of time on Sunday, but now I have a plan for the other side. The I'll cut the notches in the frame and be done with this debacle.

I not placing blame on RideTech here for the pattern since my truck was not originally a coil truck. The holes are all in "flux" since I am locating the cross member with a 50 year old dimensional drawing on a frame that was never mean to be square. It's more of a throw the dart at the wall kind of locating method.

I put the rear in yet another time to triple and quadruple check that the notch was located where it was supposed to be and all is well. The problem I am having is that I am a Type A, so close enough is really bringing my anxiety up.

One thing I am concerned about is the Ridetech track bar clearing my Moser girdle cover. The cover is quite large and just by quick inspection, it looks like it will interfere. I've got a bit of wiggle room since I get the locate the mount on the frame.

Also, the hardware is just fit-up hardware. It will all be 7/16" GR8 hardware on final assembly.
Attached Images

beaterku is offline   Reply With Quote