View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #16
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Re: NP 205 Rebuild and Info

Rebuilding the front output is next

To make things easy, I removed High gear and the shift collar, cleaned them, and installed them in the case.

Next the front output comes apart very much like the rear output. Snap ring comes off, index washer comes off, pin comes out, and Low gear drops off the shaft. There were not thrust washers on the front output.

Once everything was clean I started putting it back together. I used Petroleum Jelly on the rollers to stick them to the shaft

For no reason, this time I set Low gear on the shaft, then installed the divider ring, then the second row of rollers.

Next the pin, then the indexing washer, then the snap ring

Next I installed the front output shaft in the case, feeding it through the shift collar and the High gear

Next I installed the thrust/slinger washer and the bearing with a perimeter snap ring. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the bearing

For the front seal retainer my thumb is pointing to the oil passage that needs to line up with the notch in the gasket and the hole in the t-case. Here is the part I am not sure I did 100% right. The front seal has dual lips and the metal side is supposed to go on the inside. Well, both sides are metal, and there is a spring on both sides, so this is the way I installed it. Anyone wanna ensure this is correct?

I installed the seal housing with a new gasket, installed the bolts with sealant on the threads, and torqued the to 35lbft... I don't know why these are higher.

Next I used Petroleum Jelly to install the rear rollers

Then I installed the rear cover with a new gasket and sealant on the bolt threads. Torque is 30lbft

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote