View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 07:04 AM   #7
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Re: 1968 Chevrolet C20 w/ build sheet and Protect-O-Plate

I have continued to work on the truck to bring it closer to being fully functional and it is almost there now.

I have just this weekend installed a new three-core radiator, fan shroud and fan clutch along with new hoses and thermostat. It also has a new Interstate battery.

I found the missing linkage part I needed to have a fully functional factory automatic choke assembly on the Q-Jet so I installed that. The engine runs great and the choke operates as it should.

I replaced the carburetor base gasket with a three layer setup that prevents the heat damage to the carburetor that is common to the early design hot slot intake manifolds. I also replaced the air cleaner base plate with a raised base to lift it away from the spark plug wires just for good measure so there is no chance it could cause any grounding of a wire or misfire.

What I thought was the sound of a bad throw out bearing turned out to be a slightly bent inspection cover rubbing on the crank flange so that has been repaired and everything is smooth and quiet as it should be now with the clutch.

I have also drained and refilled the transmission and rear end with new gear oil.

I have replaced the one damaged hard line on the rear end, cleaned out the master cylinder, flushed out all the old brake fluid and refilled the brake system with new fluid. I replaced the rear bleeder screws and installed dust boots on them to keep debris out of them.
Attached Images

68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote