View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 11:06 PM   #19
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Re: "Limited Edition" Emblems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ55 View Post
I thought GMC also had a Anniversary in 68? hmm
Crazy thing about GMC. It started life as The Yellow Truck and Coach Company. I had a '38 GMC 1/2-ton, when I was in Tucson. I need to do a little more research and I can pass it on.

Established in 1923 as a subsidiary of the Yellow Cab Company, Yellow Coach was one of the most important names in the bus industry of America. Before becoming a division of General Motors in 1943, it was renowned for its many innovations to its products.
The Yellow Coach name was retired in 1943 as GM divisions were revised during the wartime haitus in bus production. When production of buses resumed in February 1944, the buses were identified with GM nameplates.

xxxxxxxx

1909 - General Motors acquires the Rapid Motor Vehicle Company of Pontiac, Michigan, the predecessor of GMC Truck, and Reliance Motor Truck Co. of Owosso, Michigan. A Rapid becomes the first truck to conquer Pikes Peak in 1909.

General Motors Truck Company (later known as GMC) is organized on July 22, 1911, to handle sales of GM's Rapid and Reliance products.

1913 - All GM truck operations are consolidated in Pontiac, Michigan

1925 - Yellow Truck and Coach Manufacturing Company is organized, with General Motors Truck as a subsidiary and General Motors Corporation holding a large interest.

1943 - General Motors acquires all assets of Yellow Truck & Coach, and the GMC Truck & Coach Division is formed.

So, I guess that GMC as a brand, compared to the General Motors Truck nameplate that was on my '38, didn't become the brand name it is, until '43. Does that make the '93 GMC a "50th Anniversary" version? I just don't recall any hype from then.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 06-18-2011 at 11:13 PM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote