View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 09:34 AM   #116
ncpetersc

Re: Help a NOOB - A continuing saga

Okay, running into some brick walls:

Wall 1: The shop. I Finally got a hold of them this morning and that went like most of you probably would guess. They insist the carb was rebuilt and that it's the junk in the fuel supply that is causing it flood. They claim to have replaced the filter, that I again replaced (and found crud in) a week later. So I can't doubt that I guess. But I mentioned some of your opinions on the general appearance that it wasn't cleaned/dipped/rebuilt and he insists that it absolutely was. He also said the carb was "destroyed" inside from junk and rust, I think he probably should have told me that when I picked up the truck! He offered to refund $100 bucks 'for my trouble', I guess for all the other sloppy things I found (spark plug disconnected, plug wires melting on exhaust, distributor loose, unplugged ports, vac pulloff not even plugged in). We'll see if that happens, better than nothing I suppose. But anyway, at least I know one place NOT to go now. Would be nice to find a trustworthy place, but I am motivated to try to do more on my own now I guess.

Wall 2: A rebuilt carb. http://www.guaranteedcarburetors.com...0-chevy-truck/ really looked like what I needed, but my exact number 7042210 was not listed so I called them up. They do not have that exact carb available. So I want to ask opinions of another vendor UnitedCarb.com as they appear to have the exact one. But a question as well, just how important is it to match this # exactly? The one from GuaranteedCarb sure looks like a match. Would it work?

I want to have a quality rebuilt carb available, but maybe still take a peek in the top of mine at least to look for the potential assembly issues like the float clip. And the shop owner is probably right anyway, I agree that I need to evaluate and address any potential fuel tank issues. So I need to come up with a plan for that.

But, main question, any experiences with UnitedCarb?

Thanks.
ncpetersc is offline   Reply With Quote