View Single Post
Old 05-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #990
evilokc

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

my day isn't over yet but I'm in for lunch so I decided to put this in. today I needed to run across town and thought it would be a great time for a highway test run. I took the truck out for a few miles yesterday and it ran good so I was excited. as I went down the expressway the truck ran nice in the stop and go traffic but as I approached the highway it seemed to be getting lean. I know the carb needs main jets but it shouldn't have been that lean on a surface road. got on the highway and it was pretty happy. running 70mph with a slight surge/sputter reminding me it needed jets. however the further I went the worse that got. it was weird. it never felt like it was going die to but the acceleration was falling off. got to my destination and when I went to leave it started fine and idled happy when I was driving the surface roads it was acting lean again. when I got on the highway it wasn't happy AT ALL. didn't want to accelerate. it sputtered its way up to 60mph but I couldn't get it over that and it wasn't happy there either. it kept getting worse tot he point I was pumping the throttle instead of holding it. I was getting a slight lean ping as I drove and then it happened. 20 miles into my drive home as the motor labored to go 60mph there was a pop. it was like a medium sized backfire and the truck lurched forward with full power. it went from a labored 60mph to a strong 80mph in seconds! the death rattle was back. the rest of the highway trip was great. it couldn't have been happier. the surface roads were the same story I had my full power back. my guess is that there was some trash in the jets that finally worked their way out. so I'm pretty happy right now. my damaged fender is completed as well. I'm headed to get it right after I eat. good times guys.

Last edited by evilokc; 05-21-2018 at 08:22 PM.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote