View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
krmill23

Question My dimmer switch dims my tail lights?

I just bought a '67 C10 for just a few hundred dollars. It ran and drove, but it is very very rusty. For now my main goal is just getting it legal to drive to use just for utility. I have everything done except for the rear lights now.

I discovered this strange problem yesterday. When I turn the dimmer switch all the way up until it clicks, the tail lights go off. The farther I turn the dimmer switch down, the brighter the tail lights get. They just stay on too, no difference when I hit the brake. Any idea what this could be?

I also noticed that the left-rear tail light was much dimmer, and flashed alternatively to the right rear when I put the hazards on, so I took the left-rear tail light apart and discovered the yellow wire had pulled out of the "bulb connector" (not sure what it's called). I cut the wires and have that little part here now, but see no way to solder a new wire into there, it's like an inch long with two small holes going deep in there. I don't see any way to take it apart. Do they sell a part like this where it's already done with just short wires coming out so I can connect it up again real fast? I found the entire rear set on the American Autowire website for $100 after shipping, but I don't think I need to replace all of them. I'd rather just fix this part first.

Anyways, I think that's about the extent of my problems. I just installed a new alternator and universal ignition (the guy I bought it from didn't get it with keys so he hot wired it). Also did a few other things that have nothing to do with the electrical system so I won't mention them here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
krmill23 is offline   Reply With Quote