View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #37
vectorit
What?

Re: 1968 Suburban K20 Past & Present build

I was able to get the most annoying electrical gremlins resolved this last Friday but I will not lie, I threw in the towel and hired my neighbor who is an electrician to seek out the problems I have been trying to resolve myself for way too long. He loves to work on our trucks, and even has a K5 that is sitting on a 2002 truck chassis with a 6 liter engine.

As expected, most of the problems were ground related. I apparently just did not remove enough paint where the bolts would go through to get a proper ground for the tail light buckets, as for the front lights and the gauge panel lighting both turn indicators when clicking the turn signal switch. That was because I used single filament bulbs in the front running light buckets! Once the bulbs were swapped with dual filament bulbs, the turn signals and gauge panel began to work normally..

My windshield wiper motor is working again, this was because of a missing mounting bolt. This one the one bolt used by the motor to get ground from the firewall, and it must have worked itself loose and fell out (I later found it under the front seat).

My gauges all work now. I never could seem to get the AMP and TEMP gauges to work right, and found out that both of the little 4 amp fuses in the front harness were defective and not working. The TEMP sending unit, this turned out to be a defective new part as well.

The original OE AM radio is working now, this too was not working because of a missing ground to the radio.

As a bonus, a secret kill switch was added.

The total cost was minimal, and I was ecstatic getting that last remaining thorn in my side of nagging troubles with my truck fixed. I even went back and gave my neighbor a large cash tip, since he was so good at getting these problems resolved and explaining everything he did.

So, if you need an automotive electrician for your truck. This guy will get it resolved quick.

www.ejwireworks.com

He is a mobile technician, or you can drive to his house to do the work.
Money well spent for me.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote