View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #16
69 C10 LWB

Re: The 65 C30 Farm Truck

Another successful saturday mixed with a little disappointment. I had to get a few pictures with the sides folded up before I started taking the bed apart. I started by cutting the nuts off the hold down bolts for the side. Problem 1 the bolts are rusted into the bed. No problem I have pry bars and cut off wheels. I can get everything loose. Problem 2 the steel stakes are rusted into the bed frame. Problem 3 almost all the wood is rotted. I broke several boards trying to pry the stakes out of the pockets. I broke through the bed floor in a couple places. And last and certainly not least, the previous owner almost burned the truck down!!!! There was part of a bottle rocket laying in the front of the bed next to the burned lower boards. When I looked at the truck in May it wasnt there. When I picked it up in July it was. That means someone got a little careless over 4th of July. I finally decided to take the bed off in 1 piece and deal with it later. I took the truck from work to the house so I can work on it more than just saturday mornings. I got my fuel cell mounted up and some new lines so it doesn't leak so the truck is officially mobile for more than a few minutes at a time.

The truck has made one decision for me. I was debating swapping the Eaton rear axle for the 14 bolt out of my 73 GMC 2500(3.73 with a limited slip). After looking at the u joints, leaking wheel cylinders, checking the gear ratio(5 something) and the play in the axle, the Eaton is on its way out. I havent had a chance to measure the 14 bolt but hopefully it is close to the same width.
Attached Images

69 C10 LWB is offline   Reply With Quote