View Single Post
Old 10-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
johnwaynejeep

Re: '85 Suburban Rear window won't raise

I had the exact same problem with an old wagoneer of mine. The problem was a combination of just and dirt, corroded connections, old sticky window rubber and a weak motor. All of these combined to create so much resistance to the window moving that the old motor couldn't move it anymore.

If you want to get the window up, disconnect the factory wiring from the motor and run 2 wires from the pos/neg side of the window motor out through the access panel so you can get to them, make sure they won't get pinched by any moving parts. close the door and use another battery to just manually apply electrical signal to the motor to get it to roll up, if the motor tries to roll down more, you can just swap the leads to the battery and it should roll the other way, if the components are really dirty, you may have to grab the window and pull it up to help the motor overcome the resistance that it's fighting.

If you want to fix it, then you'll have to take everything apart, clean and lubricate the scissor mechanism and metal tracks, get new window rubber all around, including the window felt that fits in the track around the top edge of the window. Install a new motor and reterminate the window motor wires with fresh connectors. If the motor grounds through the body and the body is heavily rusted, then you may want to run a dedicated line from one of the window motor mounting bolts to a good ground source. there's probably also connectors under the body along the frame to make maintenance easier, disconnect these, clean any corrosion, spray them with a good dielectric grease and reconnect. This should fix any issue which is adding to the resistance of the window moving in the track and your new motor should have no problem getting it up and down.

It may seem like a lot of work, but if you put bandaid fixes on everything then the window will ALWAYS be an issue and you'll be in there every week putting a bandaid on something else, if you do it right, then it will work for another 20 years without any problems.

Check where the wiring goes into the tailgate also, sometimes the constant moving will wear a whole in the wiring harness and start to expose bare wire. I actually caught my Wagoneer on fire one day and that's when I finally took it all apart and fixed it properly.
Smittybilt front/rear bumper, 10K winch
Pacific Grove, CA
johnwaynejeep is offline   Reply With Quote