View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
ballencd

Unhappy Another Suburban Lock Problem (1991)

Folks,

I recently purchased a 1991 V1500 Suburban. The little wings used for turning the ignition key were broken and the ignition key cylinder was hard to turn. In addition the "key in the ignition" beeper beeped all the time even if the key was removed and the door was open. The key did not fit the doors of the vehicle either. I purchased a replacement cylinder from LMC truck, installed it and removed the switch contacts to stop the beeper for good. That problem solved.

My current problem is that I only got the one key for the vehicle and it did not fit any of the doors. I have several round and square keys (from my old M1009, 1988 V10 Suburban, 1991 V1500 Suburban both old and new) and none of them fit into the door cylinder at all. I would like all doors and the ignition to use the same key in the end if possible. LMC sells a set of two keyed alike cylinders for the front doors and a seperate rear door cylinder but not keyed to match the front. I have also seen elsewhere a set of cylinders (three for the two doors and a trunk) that are keyed alike but I don't know if the truck cylinder will fit the rear of the Suburban. From the pictures it looks like it might but wanted to know if anyone in the forum would know if that will work.

The pictures are of the drivers door cylinder and the rear barn door cylinder and the key that fits my new ignition cylinder.

I have read here that the cylinders can be changed to be keyed alike but the ones I have don't look like they will come apart without damaging the exposed front face of the lock cylinder? And there is the problem that the new ignition key does no even go into any of the door cylinders.

Any help would be appreciated. I bought this vehicle to use the rear doors on my 1988 V10 Suburban but it is in too good shape to part it out so I am going to fix it up and drive it.

ballencd
Attached Images

2005 Toyota Matrix
2002 VW Passat (sold) (YEA!)
1986 M1009 (6.2/TH400/NP208) (sold)
ballencd is offline   Reply With Quote