View Single Post
Old 09-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
streetstar

Re: Cummins 4bt conversion

Hey freak, thx for the input --- i know a diesel swap is a bit spendy, but i think i can use it.

I am a catastrophe insurance adjuster and i put about 45 - 50k a year on my vehicles. My latest is a new F150. Like all new trucks, it is nice, but i am bored with it and when i am home i have really enjoyed driving my old Blazer.
I have been looking at new Tahoes to replace my Ford because of the lockable storage space, but an old blazer has that too and gives me more personal satisfaction to drive -- plus i wouldnt hesitate as much to drive over downed telephone poles, trees etc when i got to a disaster site. Plus - its a tax write off.

So my tentative plan (everything for me depends on how the wind blows - literallyand financially) was to buy a cleaner Blazer than the one i have and then do the swap. Nothing wrong with my current one, but its kind of high mileage and in need of a pretty spendy paint job and some interior work (it only cost me $2k so what did i expect)

I know that sounds like a high dollar operation to buy a 5 -6k Blazer and then do a 4 or 5k engine swap, but when you compare it to spending 30k (or more) on a new Tahoe, it adds a new element to it.

Another bonus, on top of better fuel mileage, is that the last couple of major coastal storm events i went to, there always seemed to be major lines for gasoline, while the diesel pumps were always open.

If it sounds like i have already talked myself into it, well, i have. Now all i need is a hurricane or earthquake to go to to justify it now. That and a little more direction in what would be the best engine for the swap.

I know Chevys put diesels in these for a few years, but the Cummins 4 seems like a more compact package if it does everything i need. Hopefully that means an easier swap and easier maintenance on down the road

Last edited by streetstar; 09-09-2007 at 02:52 PM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote