View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #41
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: My 1st 68 panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Glad to see that the Panel Truck is back on the to do list. You will love driving it. I drive mine every chance I get.

LockDoc
Thanks Leon

I got it up on the lift yesterday and gave it a good look over. I guess sitting in storage the moisture has started pulling the filler away along the bottom and it is cracked all to pcs. Some of that mess is 1/2" thick. I grabbed it at hte bottom and it came off in a big sheet. I knew it was bad with lower filler when I bought it so it was no surprise. What was a surprise was they used stainless steel sheeting to do all of the patchwork. All of it is going to get removed now.
The gas tank will have to be replaced. It had a lot of scale rust on the bottom and old gas was seeping thru. I have an extra original one here so should still be good with that. Amazingly all the straps and j bolts are in good shape and came off without damage so they can be reused.

Looking underneath, other than surface rust there is very little damage in need of repair. Both front cab supports will need replacing as well as the body cushions and very outer floor edge. I figured with the lower body as bad as it was that there would be other major damage but that is not the case.

Some of the brake lines have already been replaced but I am going to go ahead and pull all of them along with the metal gas lines and the drive shaft. Will take them all to Napa this week and have them all redone. The front u joint looks newer but the rear joint as well as carrier need replaced.

I wire wheeled all the bolt threads I could get to and sprayed everything with PB Blaster and will spray it all again this evening. Just trying to make it all maybe a little easier to get apart.

There is a very small soft spot on both trailing arms so I am going to swap them out with a real nice pair I have here. Will put new bushing in while apart.

Transmission and engine have a few leaks that I am hoping to be able to patch up while on the lift. I think while I have the front cross member out for the swap I will put a new base pan gasket on the engine. That will give me a chance to look at the bottom end. Might even go ahead and put new oil pump in.

Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote