View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #53
66Z71

Re: '62 BBW SWB Highschool ride returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeyev8 View Post
That looks good, I know how it feels to be putting metal back in after cutting and grinding and cleaning rust, just be sure to seal that overlap joint really well or you will have rust in a few years !!
Yea, putting new parts on really gets me motivated to keep working on it. I find myself going out to the garage, and just tapping on the solid metal and smiling
Once the other side is done, it's going back on its back, and the bottom of the cab will be stripped, treated with zinc pre wash, painted with POR 15, sealed, and painted with epoxy. I don't plan on doing this again as long as I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Hey, Wow your work looks very very good!! What are you using to strip all the old paint off? How are you laying your cab over and manuvering it around?? Do you just have buddys come over and man handle it or are you using a lifting device?? Im doing the same thing to mine but i need to flip it over so I can weld in the new cab support braces.
I've been using a bunch of methods to remove the paint. The thick repaint comes off easily with a heat gun and a putty knife. The factory paint seems to like the paint stripper disk on the grinder best. Then I have a wire wheel (norton brand), and a sandblaster for the hard to reach stuff.

As for laying the cab over, I had my 12 year old son and his friend come out to the garage, and show me how tough they were Can't beat child labor, and young boys wanting to out do their friends...
"Always try to make the best part you can with the skills you have. If it isn't good enough throw it away and make another. Every time you make a part your skill will increase and you'll make a better part than you were capable of making before." Lil John Buttera
66Z71 is offline   Reply With Quote