View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 03:51 AM   #11
87Skier

Re: best bang for buck LS engine takeout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennylava View Post
I can't say how well they'd work with an LS motor, but I can tell you this: I have an 87 TBI truck and I am far from satisfied with the performance of the tank OR the sending unit. The fuel sending unit on these trucks was always a big problem for accuracy, and my 87 is no different. I've actually been over this problem a few times on various forums, trying to figure out a way to defeat the wavy fuel gauge needle. All I've been able to come up with short of upgrading to a newer tank, is an autometer brand fuel gauge.

Which did help a lot, but it still moves. Its just that moves a lot slower. But you can still watch it move. Its just not waving around like it just don't care anymore. Most of the time it sits still, but if you turn a corner or go up a hill, you can watch it move. If I were you, I'd be looking to get an even further upgraded tank than the baffles, and go with one out of a newer truck that goes beyond baffles and also has the sponge-like material inside that keeps the fuel from moving much.

GM got a lot right on these trucks, but one area where they really screwed the pooch was the entire fuel level indicator system. The baffles apparently aren't good enough, the sending unit gives a signal that is too far out of range, and the gauge itself is much too sensitive. Its like a triple threat failure that causes the gauge needle to just move constantly. I learned all this from a guy who rebuilds gauges for these old trucks. So when I finally swap to LS, I'm going to go with a tank out of an LS truck. I'm sure there is one to be had that will fit well enough.
These style of gauges are much improved over the previous generations of trucks. I own one of each and my 72 bounces all over.

If the bouncy fuel gauge bothers you, you could always make some sort of integrating circuit, that takes readings over several seconds, then outputs the average. Like this: Op Amp Integrator
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote